a brief history
DeCotis Insurance Associates Inc., was founded in 1989 when a large surplus lines insurance wholesaler was looking to open an office in the state of Rhode Island. As a Rhode Island native, Paul DeCotis relocated back to his home state to lead the effort. That effort was met with much success, showing continued growth, year after year. Then, in 2007, we opened a second branch in the Boston area to respond to the repeated growth we saw with our Massachusetts and Northern New England retail agents. Today, DeCotis continues to thrive and we have expanded our footprint well beyond our humble New England roots.
what we do
First and foremost, we are a surplus lines wholesaler, meaning we don’t deal directly with the public; we only do business with licensed insurance agents, both independent and “tied” agents (i.e. Allstate, State Farm, etc.).
In our eyes, we provide three major services to our retailers:
- We provide a way for retailers to access surplus lines and specialty markets.
- We provide competitive pricing and terms on products offered by those markets.
- We provide specialty knowledge about those products and services to assist our retailers in providing the right solutions for their customers.
After all, anyone can “get a quote” for a client – it’s getting the RIGHT quote, at the right price – that makes the sale.
how we do it
The backbone of our success has always been hard work coupled with working smarter than in the past, always looking for better and more efficient ways to get things done. In this mission, we represent a number of insurance markets, both non-admitted surplus lines carriers (such as Lloyd’s of London, Western World, and Markel, to name a few) as well as admitted licensed carriers (such as CNA, Travelers, and USLI, among others).
For a more comprehensive list of markets we represent, see our Markets page.
What We Can Write
We certainly have focus areas where we are very strong, but there is very little we can’t do for our retailers. Although our focus is in the Northeast, we have nationwide capabilities.
Our core specialty areas are:
- Property & Casualty, including Umbrella
- Personal Lines
- Professional & Management Liability
- Specialty Coverages
- Environmental & Pollution Liability
For more details on what we can offer you, please see our individual products page.
Why Use Us?
“Why should our agency use DeCotis?” is a question we hear time and time again. It’s a question every good retailer should ask, and the wholesaler being asked must have a good answer.
Here are some reasons we think make us different. Can your current wholesaler say the same?
- We are deeply committed to the surplus lines industry. Our employees volunteer on committees for national organizations such as NAPSLO in an effort to “give back” and help steer the direction of the industry, staying on the cutting edge.
- We are deeply committed to our partner retail agents. We are associate members of many state and regional agent associations and sponsor many agent events.
- We believe in using the words “we” and “us,” not “I” and “me”.
- We believe in “The Window and the Mirror” – we look outward to attribute credit for successes and we look only inward when finding fault.
The Joan DeCotis Foundation
As part of its philanthropic efforts, senior members of DeCotis Specialty Insurance along with immediate family members and close friends created the Joan DeCotis Foundation. The foundation is named after the wife of Paul DeCotis, Chairman of DeCotis Specialty Insurance. Since its inception, the foundation has raised awareness of and funding for lung cancer clinical drug trials. These innovative drug trials will hopefully lead to new discoveries in the treatment of lung cancer and may ultimately help find a cure for lung cancer.
You can learn more about the foundation’s history, preview its events, and find lung cancer resources here: www.joandecotisfoundation.org